20/05/2016

Wearhead United 1 v Darlington Travellers Rest 5 - 14/05/16 - Ground #410 - Wearhead Recreation Field









There's 3 Weardale grounds in the Crook & District League, I did Stanhope last month, Wearhead on this trip, Wolsingham being the other one (where I hope to visit for my next game!).
As with Stanhope , it meant startin off the day on the 10.24 train from Thornaby to Bishop, followed by the 12.00 bus to Stanhope. because of the country roads that follow, its a smaller bus that does the Stanhope - Wearhead leg of the journey. a 55 min fester was required in Stanhope, with no public toilets (apart from those in pubs for customers only and I had to save my pennies for later) I walked out to the Weardale Community Hospital to use use their facilities. The hospital was rather nice, reminded me of a day hospital I used to work in years ago! arrived back in the market place with with about 15 mins left to wait. Finally the bus arrived, the bus driver said he knew where the ground was & would drop me off outside of it. which was nice.as I stepped of the bus, some of the Darlo lads gave me an ovation for makin the long trip ! :)  I'd only been there a few mins when I was asked by a Wearhead offical if I would "run" the far line, offering me the flag, but I politely declined. a local man & his dog took up the duty instead.
Darlo Travs led 1-0 at the break thanks to a well taken free kick. In the second half, the Travs went on abit of a blitz and finished off 5-1 winners. There's a nice clubhouse at the ground, which aswell as changing rooms & toilets,  has photos of differnt parts of their history , a new framed shirt next to a top from the 60s !
Thankfully, I was offered a lift back to Darlo, which saved me a few hours travelling !! was dropped off in the town, went to sainsburys for the evenings refreshments, then headed to the train station. I was tempted for a pint but as the train was due in less than 10 mins, I decided to make haste & get the 17.31 train back to Thornaby, and enjoyed a nice can on the way :)

season 2015/16 - 31 new grounds , 156 goals

transport -
142020 thornaby - bishop auckland
101 bishop auckland - stanhope
101 stanhope - wearhead
142020 darlo - thornaby


No comments:

Post a Comment